- IBM Infosphere DataStage, IBM Cognos, IBM TM1, IBM DB2 DBMS, Microsoft SQL Server, Oracle, IBM DataStudio Data Modeling Tool
- Fortune 500 Energy Company
- Establish a structured Business Intelligence environment and team within the client organization
- Identify the necessary Extract, Transform and Load (ETL) tools and hardware components necessary for a comprehensive BI environment
- Established a long-standing partnership with the energy company, with HMB supporting the BI team through Data Warehouse/Data Modeling, ETL, and Cognos 10 reporting solutions
A Fortune 500 energy company that provides natural gas transmission, storage and distribution, as well as electric generation, transmission and distribution to nearly 4 million customers located throughout a high-demand energy corridor stretching from the U.S. Gulf Coast through the Midwest to New England.
Source system data existed on different platforms and were difficult to access in a timely manner. Reports, which were tactical in nature and scope, were generated by various groups and resources specific to the systems they supported. Reporting tools consisted of EZTrieve, Excel, and Cognos 7 directly against operational source system data and mainframe file extracts.
Establish a structured Business Intelligence (BI) environment and team within the organization to support the following goals:
- Improve access in scope and speed to market with actionable information from source systems required to run the business.
- Promote transparency of data and reporting from which to report against (Data Warehouse/Data Marts).
- Eliminate the negative system and performance impact of directly accessing operational data for reporting.
- Provide for cross-departmental (operations, planning, engineering, etc.) collection and analysis with a combination of tactical and analytic reporting.
The client partnered with HMB initially to add a single technical resource to address the data warehouse component of the BI environment. Extract, Transform, load (ETL) tools were identified and the necessary hardware infrastructure was established to support a Data Warehouse DB and ETL processing.
When the project was completed, the company extended their partnership with HMB and augmented the team with additional Cognos, ETL, and program management resources to keep pace with the growing demand and to fully leverage the BI environment.
HMB’s strong technical expertise and vision was critical building a BI infrastructure with the right tools to meet the client’s needs. HMB remains a partner with the client today, fully embedded within the client's BI team and provides Data Warehouse/Data Modeling, ETL, and Cognos 10 reporting solutions.
With the continued support of source data/content to the Data Warehouse, the value proposition to the client continues to grow:
- Cross-departmental reporting and analysis is a reality.
- Interactive/analytic reporting has become the focus, with Cognos Dashboards providing real-time analytic capabilities to
support the needs of the business.
- Access to a broader scope of data needed to perform analysis and support decision-making is more readily available and
easily accessible within the Data Warehouse.